Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

twitter - my new focus


Hi all,

In this post, I would like to reflect upon a really popular tool, twitter, that I discovered later than many technology enthusiasts. My first twitter experience was not very well. At first I had thought it was just like simple tool people use to reflect what they are doing. The use of twitter seemed so limited to me that I didn't update my status or 'tweeted' for more than three months. After having seen that it is being mentioned a lot in the world of CALL, I decided to focus on twitter again.

Then what is twitter?

Twitter is a microblogging platform helping its users to update their status, send and read people's messages called tweets. If you have a twitter account, people can subscribe to your profile and be your followers. You can also subscribe to their profiles and catch up with their updates, links and messages. Accessing twitter is quite easy. You can either visit twitter website or use external applications like tweetdeck and tweetie or use you mobile to send and respond to people's tweets.

Is it really so popular?

Yes, definitely! That's why many magazines and newspapers and even celebrities have twitter accounts. The popularity of twitter has even led some people to post ads and access many people. It is also necessary to note that this wonderful tool is ranked as one of the 50 most popular websites worldwide by Alexa's web traffic analysis.

What can be done using twitter?

The use of twitter is NOT limited to updating your status. It can be used for various purposes like:
  1. sharing links
  2. sharing photos
  3. catching up with recent news&trends
  4. replying to people's tweets
  5. sending messages to your friends
  6. meeting new people
  7. making your blog more popular
  8. finding the information needed using popular tags
Twitter vs Facebook

I think I have admit that I find twitter more user friendly and purposeful when compared to facebook as a language teacher.

How can you sign up for a twitter account?

Please visit http://www.twitter.com to get a twitter account.

What is my twitter id?

If you want to follow me on twitter my id is beyza.

If you want to learn more about twitter, please read the wonderful blog post by Kalinago English:

http://kalinago.blogspot.com/2009/08/english-language-teachers-guide-to.html


Happy tweeting:)

B.

No comments: